about the store

Poolside Santa Monica is now THE GOLDEN STATE!
come in and see our new look!
info@thegoldenstatestore.com

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Small World


I just received my Voyage candles. Their lovely creator, Melanie Apple, delivered them personally. We had an instant connection and now I know why. Each candle is named after an exotic European beach town she loves. My first clue.
We then spent a half hour trying to figure out where/when we may have met. I suddenly remembered a tall, tanned girl with long golden hair. Melanie Apple, of course! We both lived in Cannes in our early 20's, went to a small international college then we both came back to Los Angeles to work in fashion/ TV/ film. Now we're busy moms, driving our kids around to ballet and baseball. My dear Melanie, I can't thank you enough for reminding me of all my favorite places!
THE VOYAGE COLLECTION:
Cannes (cucumber) My first time living away from home. I arrived to school in January to a beach blanketed in snow, the first in Cannes since 100 years.
Cap Ferrat (violet): Once, I missed my train back to Cannes, ended up staying all weekend. Magical!
Cap D'Antibes (amber): Dinner on some huge yacht with what's-his-name.
Majorca (rose/geranium): My first night ever in Europe was on a farm in the hills of Fornalutx...the far side of the island. We have family there, American ex-pats. Valdemossa and Calla Deya are possibly the most beautiful places I've ever seen.
Ibiza (tuberose): Spring break, the end of my tanline...and that's all I can say.
Capri (jasmine): The place I think about when I need to escape. No words I know can describe.
Mykonos (lime/basil): Fell in love with a boy from London. Rented mopeds and rode around the entire island together. Heaven.

No comments: